I love butterflies. If you've ever seen a caterpillar you know there's a miracle in every one of them. A caterpillar is not terribly ugly or maybe they are so ugly they are cute, I'm not sure. One thing that is for sure is that there is an amazing transformation in the cocoon and if that's not a miracle, then I don't know what is.
My love of butterflies started when I worked at the funeral home. As you can imagine, there aren't a lot of "good" days when you work in a funeral home. Every day you are reminded of the imminence of death (for those who aren't saved that a scary reminder) and deal with people's grief and agony over the loss of a loved one. After awhile, you either become numb to the misery or get comfortable in it...I'm not sure which and it's probably both. Anyway, it seemed like on the worst days of my time there, I'd always see a butterfly. I'm no butterfly expert, but it was always a black (or really dark blue) butterfly with a bright blue spot on each wing...It was gorgeous. I do not recall having noticed this type of butterfly prior to working at the funeral home. It always lingered a few minutes by my window like it was reminding me there WAS still beauty in the world in spite of the misery around me. It was God's way of saying "Hi."
Now that I'm a mommy, I tell Savannah when she sees a butterfly, that's God's way of saying hi. She seems to love that, because every time she sees a butterfly, I hear a joyous, giggling child say "Hi God!" It's the most wonderful sound in the world to me and I hope it's as wonderful to Him. Yesterday, while driving home, I saw a butterfly and thought "Hi God." That's when I began to think about the transformation that we undergo when we accept Christ.
It amazes me that an ugly caterpillar goes to sleep and wakes up a breathtaking butterfly. It's symbolic of how God transforms us once we receive His Son. We are transformed into a thing of beauty. Our outer appearance may not change, but our inner appearance does. We get rid of our old lives and habits and trade them in for new life in Christ and Christ like habits. We become beautiful just like the butterfly that always reminds me that God is saying "Hi."
Hey Girl - I saw a butterfly today on our Hike! I thought of your blog and of course God! I will never look at them the same :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool post! Ever since getting to "raise" a caterpillar in college and watch it eat, eat, eat --and then transform...I was amazed..it was so fun to do this with my students when I was teaching. God saying Hi..love that.
ReplyDelete